Here’s how KidZania works... think for a moment: if you were
going to take your school group on a visit – well, you would lead, make the decisions and they would follow you.
At KidZania, flip this on its head. The children take lead, they make the decisions and they go where they want to go: what you have to do is ‘follow’ and let them have a great learning experience.
Children can go off in their own groups or explore as individuals, they can safely go where they want and they can partake in more than 100 activities.
Learning is at the very heart of KidZania’s values. Our cross-curricular educational experience will challenge and inspire children from age 4 to age 17.
KidZania provides an authentic and powerful introduction to the world of work for under 17s, where children begin to understand the nature of work, the diversity and function of business, and its contribution to national and global prosperity.
“Children can only aspire to what they know exists.”
Dr. Ger Graus OBE
Director of Education, KidZania Central Government
Through interactive role playing experiences that support the Department of Education’s K-6 curriculum, play and learning are one and the same in the city of KidZania Manila.
KidZania Manila DepEd Curriculum Links Summary:
- KINDER: Exploration in the city of KidZania Manila supports specific aspects of growth in kids. For Kinder learners, there are numerous opportunities to target the developmental domains in unique ways.
- SOCIO-EMOTIONAL DEVELOPMENT: As trained Zupervisors facilitate carefully designed activities, they aid kids in expressing themselves, relating with their peers, and appreciating others’ differences.
- VALUES DEVELOPMENT: KidZania supports holistic development by making sure that values such as discipline, loyalty, respect, compassion, and empathy are introduced, learned, and practiced in the jobs they join in.
- PHYSICAL HEALTH & MOTOR DEVELOPMENT: Both fine and gross motor skills are developed throughout every kid’s stay in the city as they take on different jobs or services. Health and safety measures such as hand washing and sanitation are also constantly practiced in every activity.
- CREATIVE DEVELOPMENT: The city offers a diverse mix of opportunities where kids can express themselves in various aesthetic ways. Whether through visual art, music, or movement, KidZania is a place where interests are explored, talents are honed, and abilities are unleashed.
- MATHEMATICS: In KidZania, kids as young as 4 start their journey by encashing the checks they receive into kidZos. This is the currency used in the city to be able to explore and work in different establishments. In many of these establishments, kids are also able to describe and compare 2- and 3-dimensional objects, manipulate and classify them based on their properties, and measure them in creative ways.
- UNDERSTANDING OF THE PHYSICAL AND NATURAL ENVIRONMENT: As kids interact with an environment designed specifically for them, they are invited to carefully observe their surroundings, explore different materials, and discover how things move.
- LANGUAGE, LITERACY, AND COMMUNICATION: As they take on different jobs, avail of services, or interact with others, kids are able to hone their communication skills, expand their vocabulary, and even practice basic reading and writing.
- GRADE 1
- ENGLISH: Zupervisors are trained learning facilitators who conduct role-play activities in KidZania Manila’s establishments. Through each Zupervisor’s age-appropriate directions, kids are guided throughout the process and are encouraged to communicate in a positive and polite manner. For example, kids at the Police Station realize that helping keep Citizens safe and maintaining peace and order in the city involves tasks such as asking and answering questions, and listening for and acknowledging responses. As they perform these tasks, they are able to develop social awareness and communication skills.
- MATHEMATICS: Children constantly interact with numbers as they familiarize themselves with reading and understanding census plaques, lining up in establishments, and handling their own kidZos. As the official functioning currency of KidZania, kids may also use the kidZos to practice recognizing, counting, and comparing bills. Apart from these, Mathematics continues to be applied in several establishments as in the Pizza Shop. There, kids learn about fractions as parts of a whole as they make and slice their own pizzas. In a fun and creative manner, they hone numeracy skills without realizing it.
- ARALING PANLIPUNAN: As kids navigate the city and meet new people, they are able to share things about themselves, listen to others, and compare their experiences. Zupervisors also aid in this practice by striking conversations with them. At the Courier Service, for instance, kids are tasked with the pick-up and delivery of packages. To do this, they ask simple questions to seek directions and speak to the ones receiving or sending parcels. In doing so, kids practice how to communicate effectively with others to get the job done.
- HEALTH: In every establishment, kids sanitize or wash their hands and learn the importance of keeping the body clean. Understanding the responsibility of one’s health and safety continues in establishments like the Fire Station where kids receive practical information and training on safety during fire and other disasters. Through a hands on simulation of putting out a fire, they develop character qualities like grit and leadership as they cheer each other on and persevere throughout a challenging task.
- GRADE 2
- ENGLISH: KidZania is a place where kids are encouraged to develop independence, self-confidence, and the ability to interact with others. This allows them to practice talking about themselves, their environment, and their interests. It further pushes them to follow directions, ask questions, recognize information on environmental print, and activate prior knowledge based on new information they receive. In some establishments like the Acting Academy, unique experiences such as taking part in staging a play in the Theater or reciting a poem in areas around the city bring out one’s creativity and further enhance literacy skills as kids read, understand, and perform.
- MATHEMATICS: Practical applications of math skills are evident everywhere in the city as kids manage both their time and money. As they check cycle time signs or clocks in establishments they develop the former. And, as they decide whether to spend their kidZos to avail of a service or save and earn more by applying for a job, they practice the latter. Places like the Bank further hone such numeracy skills as kids work as Bank Tellers, ensuring they give the correct amount when someone withdraws money or counting bills carefully when someone makes a deposit.
- ARALING PANLIPUNAN: In the community of KidZania’s simulated city, kids learn the interdependent roles of individuals and institutions. Taking active part in this community allows them to make comparisons with their own communities and pushes them to realize the value of each and every job. The Clean Energy Center, to name an example, provides kids the opportunity to learn about each one’s responsibility in taking care of natural resources. As Clean Energy Engineers, they must work together to provide a solution to the city’s power needs. Such a challenge hones their competencies in collaboration and problem solving.
- HEALTH: The city fosters an environment of respect, safety, and healthy living. Among many establishments that reinforce these, the Stadium is one place where kids can demonstrate respect for teammates and opponents, adherence to safety rules, and interest in healthy habits as they engage in sports. Playing familiar games such as basketball, football, and volleyball becomes even more exciting and engaging as they participate in friendly competitions that inspire an environment of persistence as teams strive to win and leadership as each player is provided the chance to effectively guide and inspire one’s teammates.
- GRADE 3
- SCIENCE: Concepts such as matter and force are explored everywhere in the city as kids take on activities that make them aware of the movement and positions of persons and objects. They are further immersed in other concepts like basic ecology through establishments such as the Urban Garden where the task of observing and caring for trees teaches kids about plants, their importance in the ecosystem, how they fulfill other organisms’ basic needs, and the role humans play in protecting them. Through this, kids are able to tap into their curiosity and scientific literacy in a hands-on and engaging manner.
- ENGLISH:Throughout their stay in the city, kids engage in various ways of sharing, locating, and understanding information, following oral and written directions in order to follow processes, expressing their ideas, opinions, and experiences, and asking and responding to questions. So much of this is true for places like the Bookstore where kids can read stories freely and talk about them, learn about a featured book and creatively share an excerpt through a performance in the city, or even come up with their very own short story as a group. Whether individually or with others, one’s literacy skills and creativity are cultivated here.
- MATHEMATICS: When kids handle their own kidZos as they explore the city, they understand how Math is involved in everyday experiences. The Supermarket is one of the many establishments where this can be practiced evidently as kids can either work and earn kidZos or become grocery Shoppers and mentally perform simple addition and subtraction to buy goods to fit their budget. As they participate in these real-life tasks, numeracy and financial literacy skills are being practiced.
- ARALING PANLIPUNAN: Children navigate the city by using a map and come to understand that each establishment responds to the different needs of the people. In addition, they become aware that there are leaders like the Governor and members of the CongreZZ who have important roles and responsibilities in running the city. As they continue to see how the city works, they also realize their own part in ensuring its order and cleanliness. Another reality that the city allows kids to comprehend is how certain goods can be a source of income when sold to others, as in the Farm House Store where they learn how food goes from farm to fork. As they involve themselves in this process, they develop a deeper appreciation towards the role of Farmers and the importance of such commodities.
- HEALTH: When kids walk the city’s streets, they must actively follow road safety rules as the Fire Truck, Ambulance, and City Tour Bus pass by. When they enter establishments, they are reminded of the importance of hand washing and sanitizing in keeping themselves safe and healthy. In certain establishments like the Cooking School, the responsibility for one’s health is tackled further as kids learn about healthy eating habits through a discussion of the Pinggang Pinoy, and by actually cooking a healthy recipe that they can take home with them and hopefully adapt into their balanced diet.
- GRADE 4
- SCIENCE: There are several ways in which kids encounter scientific concepts and principles in the city. One such way is when they are consistently expected to follow health and safety rules likes proper handling of materials inside all establishments. Another is when topics often discussed in the classroom come alive through hands-on activities. In the Marine Research Lab, for instance, kids are sent on a mission to understand the effect of the aquatic environment on the life cycles of the fishes living in it. To do so, they interact with and study living organisms such as fishes and sea stars housed in touch pools. Throughout the endeavor, they must use their adaptability and critical thinking skills to succeed.
- HEALTH: The city of KidZania hosts many opportunities for kids to realize that ensuring the quality of food and medicine is important to community health and safety. This can be seen in the Product Lab where kids learn how medicine and vitamins are produced and labeled. In doing so, kids appreciate their proper use and benefits. They also discover that working in a laboratory requires collaboration and responsibility.
- ENGLISH: The city abounds with information presented in various ways including signs, posters, maps, and digital announcements or advertisements. In order to navigate their way around, kids will need to practice understanding information on print and non-print media. Furthermore, many activities they engage in throughout their stay will also encourage them to express themselves through oral and written means. For example, kids can work as News Writers tasked to write their own article for the front cover of the newspaper! Not only does the exercise push them to practice their written communication skills, it also allows them to practice verbal communication skills as they interview people around the city to gather information on their chosen topic.
- ARALING PANLIPUNAN: As kids simulate being part of a work force and taking on different jobs, they realize that each profession plays a key role in the success of a nation. They also understand how, through their actions as productive individuals, each citizen contributes to the welfare of their society. In this way, they develop necessary social awareness and civic literacy.
As learners explore the city of KidZania Manila, they are able to practice or sharpen learning competencies and 21st Century Skills in ways unique to their subjects and Grade Level. For Grade 4, there are numerous opportunities for displaying competencies in Science, Health, English, and Araling Panlipunan. These include general learning in the city as well as further enrichment of specific learning competencies in several establishments.
- GRADE 5
- ENGLISH: The entire KidZania experience is hinged on roleplaying. In order to actively participate in the city, kids must employ appropriate verbal and non-verbal communication, take careful note of instructions and information given to them, and relate their experiences in the city to their personal experiences. In the Home Shopping Studio, for example, kids communicate important information about a certain product, share their opinions about it, and give quick demos to support their claims as they shoot their very own episodes. As they enjoy being in front of the cameras, their wit and creativity shine through.
- SCIENCE: There are many ways in which kids encounter the application of scientific concepts in different establishments around the city. One of these is at the Bakeshop where curiosity is ignited as kids discover how the right mix of ingredients in a batch of sticky dough turns into tasty cookies after being placed in a hot oven. The kitchen is their laboratory, and learning about matter becomes hands-on and practical!
- HEALTH: Safety is a priority everywhere in the city, but nowhere is this more evident than in the Hospital Emergency Room. There, kids learn basic first aid for common injuries and, when needed, are called upon to serve as Paramedics and respond to simulated emergencies. The moment they board the ambulance on their way to the emergency site, every kid must become a leader and take responsibility for their
- MATH: role in their patient’s care.
In unique ways, learning Math is brought out of the classroom and into practical situations around the city. For example, at the Pharmacy, kids practice how to measure body temperature using thermometers and realize how medical tools such as these provide important information to those who use them. In understanding the value of making products and services available for customers’ needs, kids working as Pharmacists develop not just numeracy, but also social awareness and an appreciation for those who work to serve others.
- GRADE 6
- ENGLISH: Every establishment activity always begins with a discussion on a specific topic. Throughout this discussion, kids are encouraged to ask and respond to questions and share their thoughts or experiences. As part of the older population of kids in KidZania, sixth graders may also be tasked with the responsibility of taking careful note of instructions in order to help guide younger kids.
Some establishments push the practice of communication skills even further. In the Magazine Publishing Company, kids working as Feature Writers must gather information for their articles by interviewing people around the city and taking down notes as they do so. This independent task encourages initiative and self-confidence.
- SCIENCE: Children often wonder how things are made. In the city of KidZania, there are several places to spark and fuel that curiosity. At the Bottling Plant, kids go through the step by step process of creating a familiar drink. As they add liquids with different characteristics, they observe how each one blends together to form a uniform mixture.
- HEALTH: A number of establishments in the city feature professions and industries that support health in the community. One of these is the Dentist where kids are introduced to dental health and understand why it is important to brush and care for their teeth. As they work together in treating their simulated patient, kids learn to collaborate and work as a team.
- MATH: In a city with a working economy, kids who take on jobs and avail of services become familiar with how math concepts are applied in daily living. An example of an even more in-depth exposure to such can be found in the Tax Office where kids compute the business tax (10%) that an establishment has to pay to the city of KidZania. The challenging task not only engages their numeracy, but also their persistence and critical thinking skills.
For any inquiries on school field trips, kindly call KidZania’s Sales and Reservations team at +632-711-5439 or send an email to [email protected]
For school group bookings:
- A minimum of 30 visitors is required to avail of the school group rate.
- KidZania is open for school visits from Monday-Friday during the school period. The duration of the visit will depend on the chosen school package.
- To reserve your slots, please fill out the reservation form indicating your preferred date of visit, time slot, number and breakdown of visitors, as well as additional requirements such as food and class picture.
- KidZania’s Sales and Reservations team will advise you of the status of your booking, together with the agreement form, should your preferred schedule be available.
- To secure your slots, kindly make a down payment amounting to 30% of the total contract price, 30 days prior to the date of visit.
- Payment for the remaining balance shall be made:
- Cheque payments – five (5) working days prior the date of visit
- Cash or credit card - two (2) working days prior to date of visit
- Please advise KidZania Manila of any changes from the initial reservations or any additional requirements not later than 2 days before the date of your visit.
Free ocular tours for teachers and school administrators are also offered for planning purposes. Please fill out the ocular request form and submit to KidZania’s Sales and Reservations team.